Crossrail Ltd is responsible for delivering an operable railway to the train operator and infrastructure managers. The Operations Directorate was set up to provide key skills and experience drawn from TfL with the following main responsibilities:
- Represent operations and maintenance during design and construction, and develop and establish how operations and maintenance will be achieved in accordance with the Sponsors Requirements.
- Ensuring that testing, commissioning and trial operations are properly planned and effectively delivered so that transfer into operations and maintenance is coordinated and managed.
- Delivering the rolling stock fleet and the Old Oak Common depot to ensure the Class 345 trains are safe, reliable and able to serve Crossrail for many years with high customer satisfaction.
- Procuring and managing a concessionaire to operate train services and to staff stations. Although the path for procuring concessions and franchises is well trodden, Crossrail has a number of unique features; the phased introduction of services, the complexity of the subsurface railway, the fundamental changes in operating patterns all of which make it imperative to choose the right operator, and to forge a partnership which will see the project successfully introduced.
- Undertake the role of Infrastructure Manager for the routeway between Royal Oak Portal, Pudding Mill Lane and Abbey Wood and for Paddington, Canary Wharf, Custom House and Woolwich stations.